Saturday 20 December 2014

A shack by the beach

Looking north from the end of the lane
My room at Asinmomo
I planned a week in Edava, 5km north of Varkala. without any specific agenda. I wasn’t interested in mixing with the international back-packer crowd, and I certainly didn’t want to mingle in with the middle-class European families looking for a different Christmas climate. 

I just wanted a cheap, clean room, WiFi and some simple food. Asinmomo “homestay” was just what I was looking for. 
Tropical workspace
The “homestay” idea is all over India. 



People have an annex they rent out to guests, or a spare bedroom. At Asinmomo, the family lives in accommodation on the flat roof, while the ground floor comprises four bedrooms, each with a simple, en-suite bathroom. 

The kitchen is a separate building a few yards away, there’s a wide “sit-out” verandah and, with the addition of broadband access and WiFi, the whole creates a simple, money-generating operation.

St Augustine of Hippo

I have hardly moved from the verandah for the past 5 days. I have resurrected the writing I did over a year ago, and started to make some sense of it. 

I know there’s lots of good stuff in there, but it still lacks structure and I have discovered that some of what I thought were my new and revolutionary ideas, were voiced by St Augustine  in the 4th century. 

I wonder if Augustine had the same sense of deflation if he discovered some earlier writer had written something rather similar, centuries earlier.

When I haven’t been researching and writing, I have been extremely lazy. 

I have taken breaks to play some infernal version of Solitaire on the laptop, I have looked up train and bus timetables and I have booked accommodation for my final few days in January. 
I designed a Christmas card and emailed it to friends and family, and I have enjoyed the unfamiliar luxury of an afternoon nap.

Mattindia gave me a physical detox; Edava has given me a mental detox. I should be just about right to start at the monastery / ashram on Monday.

A mild evening, looking out to sea

No comments:

Post a Comment